Symbiome values your privacy. In this policy, we describe how we collect, use, and disclose your information when you visit our website, symbiome.com (including in connection with any goods and services offered on our website) and when you participate in new product trials.
By visiting our website, including use of any of the features on our website, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this policy and our Terms & Conditions (incorporated by reference), including its limitations on damages and the resolution of disputes (including those related to privacy).
Please note that use of our website is intended for a U.S. audience only and our website is not directed at users outside the U.S., including users in the European Union.
Your Use of Our Website
The Information We Collect About You
We collect information about you directly provided by you and from third parties who have obtained such information with your consent, as well as automatically through your use of our website, if you opt-in to such collection.
Information We Collect Directly From You. You may provide information directly to us via our website, or in connection with your request to participate in our new product trials, such as:
- Your first and last name
- Your contact information, such as your address and email address
- Your birth year
- Your gender identification
- Information related to your skin features and conditions, including skin products used by you and your self-assessed general state of health
- Information in response to survey questions we may ask
- Your User Submissions, as described in more detail in our Terms & Conditions
- Your order information
If you are selected to participate in a new product trial, you will be asked to create an account via our website to facilitate your participation in the new product trial. To create an account, you will be asked to provide information such as your first and last name, address, email address, date of birth, and phone number. You will also be asked to create a password so that you can log-in to your account on our website.
Before we can confirm your participation in a new product trial, you will be asked to agree to a consent statement and complete an eligibility questionnaire via your account/the email address we have on file for you.
If you are selected to participate in a new product trial, during your participation, you will use your account to track your participation, including to provide information, including via email, such as:
- Information related to your skin features and conditions
- Other information in response to survey questions we may ask
In addition, we may collect other information from you that you choose to provide directly to us, including any information provided to us during any communications with us related to the website, the goods and services offered on the website, and/or your participation in new product trials.
Information We Collect Automatically. If you opt-in, we may automatically collect the following information about your use of our website through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies: your domain name; your browser type and operating system; web pages you view; links you click; your IP address; the length of time you visit our website or use certain features of our website; and the referring URL, or the webpage that led you to our website.
We may combine this information with other information that we have collected about you with your consent, including, where applicable, your user name, name, and other personal information. Please see the section "Cookies and Other Tracking Mechanisms" below for more information.
How We Use Your Information
We use your information collected via our website, including your personal information, for the following purposes:
- To provide our website and the goods and services offered on our website to you, to communicate with you about your use of our website and the goods and services offered on our website, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the website.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you or that you submit to us as a User Submission to assist us in advertising our goods and services, including on third party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our website, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our website and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To protect us and others, including to exercise, establish, or defend our legal rights or protect the rights, property, or safety of others. For example, in connection with an investigation of illegal activities, fraud, or potential threats to the safety of any person.
For participants in our new products trials, we use your information collected in connection with the trial to administer and facilitate your participation in our new product trials, including to communicate with you about your participation.
How We Share Your Information
We may share your information, including personal information, as follows:
- On our Website – User Submissions. We may disclose User Submissions on our website. For more information about User Submissions, please see ourTerms & Conditions.
- Rakuten Advertising may collect personal information when you interact with our digital property, including IP addresses, digital identifiers, information about your web browsing and app usage and how you interact with our properties and ads for a variety of purposes, such as personalization of offers or advertisements, analytics about how you engage with websites or ads and other commercial purposes. For more information about the collection, use and sale of your personal data and your rights, please use the below links.”
- Your rights: https://rakutenadvertising.com/legal-notices/services-privacy-rights-request-form/
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you with your consent to third party vendors, service providers, contractors, agents, or other third parties who perform functions on our behalf, including payment card processors, and other third parties facilitating your participation in any new product trials.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, subject to applicable law, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to another company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To Protect Us and Others. We also may disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of our Terms & Conditions or this policy, or as evidence in litigation in which Persona Biome is involved.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Currently, our systems do not recognize browser "do-not-track" requests. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed in this section (e.g., by disabling cookies); you also may choose not to opt-in to targeted advertising by following the instructions in the Third Party Ad Network section.
Cookies. Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser for record-keeping purposes. Some cookies allow us to make it easier for you to navigate our website, while others are used to enable a faster log-in process or to allow us to track your activities at our website. There are two types of cookies: session and persistent cookies.
- Session Cookies. Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the website. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our website.
- Persistent Cookies. Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, and to display advertising both on our website and on third-party sites.
Disabling Cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our website who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the website, but some features may not function.
Local Storage Objects. We may use Flash Local Storage Objects ("Flash LSOs") to store your website preferences and to personalize your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. Typically, you cannot control, delete, or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs through your web browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, or to learn how to manage your settings for Flash LSOs, go to the Adobe Flash Player Help Page, choose "Global Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs currently on your computer, choose "Website Storage Settings Panel" and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies. Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer's hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on webpages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our website to, among other things, track the activities of website visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about website usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML emails to our customers, to help us track email response rates, identify when our emails are viewed, and track whether our emails are forwarded.
Third-Party Ad Networks
You may choose not to opt-in to third-party ad networks, including those operated by members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") and the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). For more information regarding this practice by NAI members and DAA members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including how to opt-out of third-party ad networks operated by NAI and DAA members, please visit their respective websites: https://optout.networkadvertising.org/?c=1 (NAI) and https://youradchoices.com/control (DAA).
Opting out of one or more NAI member or DAA member networks (many of which will be the same) only means that those members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you. It does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our website or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browser is configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAA opt-out may no longer be effective. Additional information is available on NAI's and DAA's websites accessible by the above links.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that despite these efforts, no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access To My Personal Information
You view the personal information that you have submitted to us by logging into your account and viewing your profile information. If you would like to update your information, in some cases you may be able to do so via your account; otherwise, you should contact us firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like your account deleted, please contact us email@example.com.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional or informational emails to you. You may choose not to opt-in to such communications by following the opt-in instructions contained in the email. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process opt-in requests. If you do not opt-in to receiving emails about recommendations or other information we think may interest you, we may still send you emails about your account or any services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our website is not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our website or would like to make a complaint, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy